Saturday, August 26, 2006

Waiting For The Phone To Ring

I'm here by the computer with a lousy internet connection, killing time. I'm waiting for a fateful phone call from the Vice President of Maersk Canada.

It has been a couple of weeks since the application phase for expatriation of the MISE 2004 batch ended. With 221 choices from countries all over the world, ranging from the wealthiest to the poorest, from the warmest to the coldest, from the most exotic to the most seemingly mundane, I picked out three positions and applied for it.

The three positions are as follows:
1. Communications and Corporate Affairs Manager, A.P. Moller - Maersk, Toronto, Canada
2. Assistant Manager for Marketing and PR, Safmarine, Dubai, U.A.E.
3. Global Process Excellence - Process Control, A.P. Moller - Maersk, Copenhagen, Denmark

And I have set my heart on the Toronto position.

Form the moment that Stella called me one early Sunday morning and declared, "This position is for you!" I knew it. I know deep down in my heart, I am meant to be there. I am meant to have that job.

A week ago I received an email from Maersk Canada HR, asking me to:
1. Submit 2 documents that I have written recently, in Word format
2. Submit 1 Powerpoint presentation that I have created recently
3. Set a date and time for an interview

Having accomplished the first two (the entry below "More Than Just a Training Program" was actually one of the pieces I submitted, which I believe is my winning piece), I now sit here waiting for the phone to ring. I have been waiting since 9pm (since the time zones are completely opposite, I have to stay up). Butterflies are fluttering in my stomach and I am a bit nervous.

There is no doubt in my mind that I am going to get this position. It's for me. I believe so.

Now all I have to do is win them over, impress them and convince them that I am indeed the best person for this job.

I'm all jittery.

This is my career in line.

My life on the line.

Wish me luck and send a little prayer for me!

* * * * * * * *

I just finished the interview. And you know what? I think I nailed it! Well... I hope I did. :) That position is sooo mine!

I'll have to wait till September to find out. :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. teng... you freak! wuzzup? did yah get the Canada job? If you did I'm really, really, really happy for yah! I know how you get if you "have your heart set on something" hehe... I'm doing fine here in the middle of the Arabian Desert. Things are a-okay, I guess… I don’t know if I’m homesick or what I’m too tired of work to think that. I miss you lolas a lot! I can’t wait to go home… Mmwah!

    ReplyDelete