Thursday, June 12, 2008

Some people scare me

When I was in college and we were asked to draft a write-up for the yearbook, there was one question that made me pause and think: What is your biggest realization in college?

Eventually, I had answered that it was this: that you cannot expect people to have the same values as you do. People are raised in different environments, go through different experiences, and that makes us all fundamentally different. And what may be logical, natural or ethical to you, may not be for the next person.

Fast forward to four years later. It's often said that politics is inevitable, specially in the work arena. I understand politics despite refusing to be party to it most of the time. However some people either take it to the next level or just do things that can no longer be justified by 'naturally-occurring politics' - it's just plain stupid rude and these are the ones whom I don't understand. Don't they think that people can see through them and their blatant lies? Are they not afraid of the truth coming out? Of being confronted by the people they back-stab?

We are not able to and should in fact not hold people against the same ethical standards that you hold for yourself - this much I accept. I just find it hard that some people find amusement in messing up other peoples' lives. Have people grown so conniving that it's too much to expect anyone to just live and let live?

Well. *sigh* Work woes. You gotta have them, right? Back then I used to think my university was a melting pot of all kinds of people - hence the realization. In the course of my work experience I have met quite a number of interesting characters as well, including those who fit in the category I have just described above. I really don't understand them. The things that we don't understand, more often than not, scare us. And these people do scare the shit out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment