Friday, December 12, 2008

California Here We Come

Having hopped from one cold city (Beijing) to another (Chicago) at the outset of my vacation, you can imagine my extreme delight as I stepped out to a beautiful sunny day after landing in San Diego. Fluffy white clouds and a clear blue sky, the sun beating down on me with just the right amount of heat. Ahhh perfection.

My extremely short stay in San Diego (barely 24 hours) included a quick stop at Seaport Village next to the famous USS Midway and a drive by the US-Mexico border to spot the twinkling lights of Tijuana, Mexico, only separated from American land by a concrete wall and of course some very alert border patrols. That evening, Jaim's family was so kind to welcome me to join their Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey was good, the salmon was great and the pumpkin pie was the best!

The next day we left for Las Vegas (see separate entry) and went back to Anaheim, CA four days later. I then met up with my family and spent the next few days doing the usual tourist round: Disneyland Park, Disney's California Adventure, Universal Studios Hollywood and a night tour of LA which included a quick walk down Hollywood Blvd, Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills. I also got to see Sta. Monica Pier and Third Street Promenade, and the best theme park of all, Six Flags Magic Mountain. The roller coasters were to die for, and if only for the coasters I got to ride there, my trip to the US was well worth it!

Although we probably spent half our time driving on freeways, I loved California. Of course I only have few other US cities to compare it with, but feel that I wouldn't mind working and living there. There's just a feeling, you know, that tells you it's highly possible that you can belong to a place. And California... with its weather, piers, beaches, celebrities, museums, theme parks, distinct cities, shopping streets, people... it's by far not perfect, quite the contrary, but it seemed like a place that's got everything I need. :)

P.S. My apologies to Lali and Anne for not being able to meet up with you! It was just too packed a schedule. No worries though... I'm already penciling in my next US trip... and we'll definitely make plans in advance! :)

P.P.S. Photos to be uploaded over the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment