Thursday, December 18, 2008

My love affair... with shoes

For someone who complains that her feet are too big, I realized just this weekend that I do have a lot of shoes. As I was unpacking from my recent trip, I laid out all my footwear purchases which at final tally went up to 10 pairs. Yes, I know.
I looked around my apartment to find a place for my new shoes. For the record, each one of them was necessary. (Haha defensive!) I took advantage of the fact that size 9-10 shoes were readlily available in the US -- cannot say as much here in China, where I feel like a giant in the land of small feet. On second thought, I feel that when shoe shopping all around Asia, where women are generally more petite hence have smaller feet.
With a little bit of trepidation I counted just how many pairs of shoes I owned -- at least the ones in China; I had to leave some pairs in the Philippines, thanks to the 30-kg weight limit on travel luggage. I was surprised to have quite a good variety -- flats, heels, boots, slippers, cute ones, ugly ones, rubber, leather, suede, Dunks, Shox's, Air Max's, Crocs, Havs, Uggs -- but all of them in relatively conservative colors. (Believe me I've had my impulsive hot-pink-and-yellow-heels moments, but could never quite convince myself that I can pull them off.) In the end, I said to myself, "No wonder I'm running out of space." I suddenly remembered Carrie and Big, and wished for a moment that someone would build me a closet with a whole wall just for shoes. Sigh. Big sigh. (Haha)
This morning when I woke up not feeling too happy, I put together my outfit in my head, and resolved to wear my favorite heels, which never fail to make me feel better. It does not magically solve my problems nor does it bring world peace, but to me it makes a difference. Maybe it's the height boost, or maybe it's all in my head, or maybe it's the comfort I find in the thought that whoever pisses me off, I can kill with my 3-inch stilettos. Whichever of those it is, these shoes make a shitty day a bit easier to go through.
I have always seen myself as low-maintenance and to a certain extent, sort of a cowboy. But as I went through my shoe racks and all the other cabinets that I have forced to double as shoe cabinets, I realized that there was no reason for a low-maintenance person like me to go through life in bad footwear. In my head there are still countless pairs I'd like to buy, and who knows in the future maybe hot pink or yellow won't be such a bad idea after all. Well I guess it is true, what they say... A girl can never have enough shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment