Saturday, August 22, 2009

It's Overrr

If I knew 2 weeks ago what I know now, well, things would have been much easier. I would have been calmer, not too many sleepless nights, not too many tulala moments. But then again, there is never a way to advance wisdom gained from experience, so that's that.

I say it's over - the whole surgery ordeal is over. And in record time! Only 8 days after the procedure and I feel pretty much like my old self, save for some minor pains and inconveniences here and there. I did not expect it to happen all so quickly; in fact, I was trying to prepare myself for weeks, if not months, not only of physical but also emotional recovery. But today I find myself doing and thinking pretty much the same things that I did and thought about prior to finding out that I had to have that fateful cyst taken out.

I thought this was going to be pivotal - you know, all dramatic and poignant and dear-diary worthy. But only a few moments were... like having to pull out my brave face time and again to mask the fear that truly felt, my dad giving me a kiss before I was wheeled into the operating room, waking up after the surgery knowing that it's all over, my mom's giant hug when she arrived on my third day post-op. The rest of it was pretty much routine.

I did learn two very important things though: First, in a time of need, the support of the people in your life can come in many forms but they all count for something -- far more than you expect it to count. Despite being physically away from 98% of the people who sent me their messages, sentiments, advice, love and prayers, I felt that I somehow mattered in other people's lives. And that can trump out fear most of the time. Not all of the time, but it's a huge, huge help. So again, thank you very much to everyone who left a comment, sent me messages and emails and texts, and even those who did not respond but did think of me.

Second, I don't think anyone will love me (and my siblings) more than my parents do. Their dedication is unwavering. Flew to Beijing 4 days after I got the news that I required surgery, without question. Said nothing when I rouse them middle of the night to help me up because I needed to pee. Until now, as I walk at half my speed, they patiently slow their pace down too just so they can walk beside me. They work their way around how I feel - am i tired? hungry? in pain? sleepy? bored? in need of a laugh? It amazes me. My parents, hands down, are the bestttttt. E-ver. :)

While it will probably take a few more months to be completely healed (you know, be able to ride a rollercoaster and stuff), this chapter is pretty much over. I look forward to having a greater awareness of the value of health, and hope this is the start of a gradual lifestyle change for the better. Nothing else matters if you're anyway dead and can't enjoy it!

So, onto the next great adventure. What that is... only time will tell!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment