Saturday, February 23, 2008

Random Thought on Alicia Keys

"So every time you hold me
Hold me like this is the last time
Every time you kiss me
Kiss me like you'll never see me again
Every time you touch me
Touch me like this is the last time
Promise that you'll love me
Love me like you'll never see me again"

--- Like You'll Never See Me Again by Alicia Keys

I own very few original audio cd's (total of, uhm, six?) and they are only from two artists: Eraserheads and Alicia Keys. I love her to bits. I have been a fan since "Songs from A Minor" to "The Diary of Alicia Keys" to "Unplugged" and now to "As I Am".

But lately I have been feeling rather sour towards her. Maybe it was her anti-climactic Grammy opening with Frank Sinatra, or her over-singing of the supposedly quite simple "No One" further into the show. I just feel like all of a sudden she's lacking soul - that which made her such a commanding perfomer before. Now it just feels like... well, a performance. Maybe it went away with all those pounds that she lost?

Don't get me wrong, the songs on her latest CD still sound great (the song above, a perfect example) but I hope she gets her *oomph* back into her live performances. In the meantime, though, guess I'll just be content with "Like You'll Never See Me Again" on repeat...

1 comment:

  1. ARE you kidding me? I've never heard of any other song which has more soul factor than 'No One'... or maybe that was just a Valentine's aftermath.

    I totally lurve 'Like you Never see me again'. Was a bit disappointed when her voice cracked twice when she sung it live but loving the lyrics here.

    Hola from Makati!

    -bri

    ReplyDelete