Monday, February 4, 2008

Satellite TV is a Godsend

I've had a small satellite dish installed and it kind of makes me feel stupid because I should have done this a long time ago. I almost hugged my cable guy when I heard the first few strains of Filipino from the TV. It's very disconcerting to see all those Filipino shows and commercials inside my apartment, and hear only Chinese when I step out.

But I guess it really is the small things like those that drive away homesickness. I actually just look forward to going home and crashing in my couch, having a Subway sandwich for dinner and just happily flipping through the channels. I used to do that before as well -- but it really kinda gets old when you only have Discovery Channel, National Geographic, CNN and HBO to choose from...

Now I have all the channels which ironically also got me through another tough time in my life a.k.a. living in Cebu. ETC and 2nd Avenue and Travel & Living; MTV Pilipinas and AXN and Star World... and I finally get to introduce my Beijing friends to ABSCBN and GMA7 and Studio23. :)

When you're away, you hold on to every little thing that reminds you of home. My new satellite TV is one of those things that somehow make it a little bit easier to believe that (maybe) Beijing isn't really that far after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment