Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Stupid Movie

I had set out to stay in tonight and have some alone time after a pretty hectic past few weeks. Got some food delivered and passed by my suking DVD shop downstairs to get some movies to entertain me tonight. I picked up The Notebook; I know, I know what you're thinking -- pure mush. I've read the book but I've always wondered if the movie does live up to its 'tear-jerker' reputation. The other movie I picked up was Dan in Real Life starring Steve Carell. I figured I needed something to counter the depression that might stem from watching The Notebook. (Seriously, cover palang nung DVD with that couple kissing in the rain, parang alam mo na kaagad how it will make you feel!).



After a quick rating check from IMDB.com (The Notebook was rated a surprising 8.0/10, while Dan in Real Life was only 7.0/10) I decided to watch Dan in Real Life first. No point rushing into lovesick mode with that other movie.



Ten minutes into the movie I was still waiting for the comedy to come. Where is the funny man that I know Steve Carell to be? The Steve Carell of The 40 Year Old Virgin and Evan Almighty? The legendary Michael Scott of The Office? Well the movie turned out to be more touching than I had wanted it to be. I can imagine feeling less emotional than if I had watched The Notebook, because at least that movie would have just been pure mush while this movie... This movie... It was real. And I hated it for being real. More than just romantic love, it was about family and bonding. The soundtrack didn't help too. It was good. Appropriate and good. And so I sat through it -- 




...listening to lines like, "Love is not a feeling, it's an ability." Crap.

...watching Dan's relationship with his daughters unfold.

...taking in all that family love while trying to curb the pangs of homesickness.




So there. This is what I get for wanting to sit at home and watch a comedy movie to take my mind off things. Note to self: Next time, try to find out more about the storyline before watching the film. Be better prepared.



Ironically, Dan from the movie debunks that whole statement. As his last words go: Be prepared to be surprised.

Hay, maka tulog na nga.

No comments:

Post a Comment