Saturday, June 26, 2004

Thanks, Baby. [In Memoriam: XAN-103]

     Today, I said goodbye to a dear friend, to a helping hand that was always there, to a loyal companion ready to take on any adventure with me... Today, I said goodbye to my baby, my CR-V.



     To most people this may seem weird, being so attached to a vehicle. But my CR-V was more than just that to me... It took me home safely everytime for the past year, and if only for that, I can say that she has treated me well.



     The CR-V is my third car; but unlike the two before it, I had begged and pleaded to my parents for over a month until they finally decided to give it to me. In other words, it was the only car I ever really wanted, that's why it had meant so much to me. But for practical reasons, the CR-V had to go... It was becoming older by the year (we all know vehicles are depreciating assets), and it was no longer wise for me to bring it to the office everyday because as a 4x4, it gulps down gas by the gallon. Another year with it would have been impractical and costly.



     Of course, it was not easy to say goodbye. I have had many memories with my CR-V. I survived my last year in college with her help. Looking back I really feel that my CR-V always did take care of me. I can remember so many memories with my car, and it only makes me miss her even more, like when...



     ...I drove it to UP Diliman for the first time.

     ...we went to a rally at the Senate and I had 11 passengers.

     ...it brought me to Libis every night for a whole week during Show*Off rehearsals.

     ...I took my whole family to PICC during graduation.

     ...it was towed and I had to leave in the middle of thesis class to fetch it -- with, of course, a fee of P1,500.

     ...I was flagged down in EDSA for crossing the yellow line.

     ...I had cried inside the car right after thesis defense, out of exhaustion.

     ...I had cried inside the car when I was depressed during my first week at work.

     ...we brought it to Subic only last summer.

     ...all the lolas were riding it, and we were just plain having a good time.





     Numerous other memories come to mind but it all boils down to the fact that my CR-V had become a very important part of my life, making me feel secure wherever I may be because I know there will always be a way to go home, alive and safe.



     My CR-V's new owner is very much like me; it will be given as a gift to another daughter from her father. And I know being the trusty vehicle, friend and comapnion that she is, she'll take care of her new owner just like she took care of me.



     Like they say about good friends and first loves, I know that my CR-V will never be forgotten. I will always have a memory of how good it felt to drive it, to just be inside it, to just be near it.



     People fall in love and get attached to many things. For me, it was my car. So for what it's worth... Goodbye baby, and thanks. I owe you so much.



1 comment:

  1. hi te!..ngayon ko lang nabasa to ah!.. infairness naiyak ako..hehe..ütataü

    ReplyDelete