Thursday, September 18, 2008

Makes Me Wonder

I am once again weighing my options in anticipation of the end of my China stint. My time is up by September 2009, but as per company expatriation policy I will be able to leave for repatriation (i.e. going back to my home base organization, which is the Philippines) as early as six months prior to the expiration of my contract. Hence before we all know it, I could very well be headed back to the motherland by April 2009. (On a related note: I hope this serves as a warning to those who promised to visit me in Beijing! The clock is ticking, my friends!)

As I continue to ponder on my next move, I occasionally get these waves of desire to go back home. It's one giant tsunami of nostalgia washing over me, and it drowns out all thought of aggressive pursuit of ambitions and stretched career goals, even the low salary levels and inconveniences that come hand in hand with returning to the Philippines. I immediately switch to the stubborn, irrational Scorpio that I am - just wanting what I want, period. No explanations owed to anyone, not even my own self.

I have often fantasized about living in Manila again -- weekend lunches with the family... Seeing my friends anytime I want to... Impromptu reunions... Going for out-of-town roadtrips... Exploring domestic travel destinations... Driving to Tagaytay on a whim... Drowning my problems in funny stories and alcohol... Fun videoke nights belting E-heads songs... Speaking Filipino... In short, living the life I should have been living for the past two years, had I been home.

Now that I have the chance to return, it makes me wonder why I am even considering any other options apart from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment