Sunday, September 28, 2008

Second anniversary na namin 'to tsong.

For my friend Aprille, a recent joiner to the overseas Pinoys club. :)

It's been 731 days since I moved to Beijing and about as many ups and downs, life lessons, breakdowns, happy moments, triumphs, tears and laughter over this span of time.

A few years ago I read from an Arlene Chai book a few lines about migrants having two "homes" and how, no matter which home they are going to, they are always leaving another one behind; missing the sights and smells and sounds of one as they go rushing to the other. Now I know exactly how it feels. Exactly.

I spent the better part of these two years wishing everyday that time would pass swiftly by, that one day I would wake up and it will be time to go home. But it is inevitable to create a home and a life right where you are in the present, despite knowing and resolving that your situation is temporary, despite knowing that you will one day return to where you came from.

And so Beijing is also home to me now. The sights and smells and sounds of this city, like any other, has its good and bad sides. But I accept it for what it is, with only the occassional judgement, and I appreciate it for everything it has taught me. It's not perfect by any means, but I am loyal to this city and I snap back to anyone who talks trash about it.

Today I am compelled to look back and reflect on the direction my life has taken. 'Two years in a foreign city' never came up in any of my plans when I was younger, but having been through it, I realize this chapter of my life has been indispensable. I am also indebted to my parents for giving me both roots and wings. I wouldn't have it any other way. And when I have kids in the future I would encourage them to live in a foreign land once; I think it will help them become well-rounded individuals and see that there is a big, big world out there that can be not just discovered but experienced.

So I guess, the one-year countdown to the end of my Beijing contract officially begins today. But really, by now I should already know that plans are just plans, and just as easily changed.

Who knows where I'll find myself a day, a week, a month, a year from now? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment