Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mind Games: Necessary Evil?

When I first started liking Boy Chekwa, many of my close friends immediately found out about it. I'm open like that - since I'm also often excited about sharing stories and 'conquests'. Needless to say my friends have their own opinions on how I should go about this and how to eventually hook that elusive Chekwa.

Perhaps the most common advice I get from friends has something to do with:
- not always being available to him

- not being too nice to him

- not inviting him to activities too often

- not seeing him so often

- not doing him any favors

...you get the idea. I understand where they're coming from; it does not mean I advocate it though. I still get confused whether to follow this advice, or act according to my natural instincts. And natural for me is being nice to people I like - platonic friends included.

You see I'm no expert in flirting, dating or relationships, but what little experience I have has taught me that you can win people over by plain old treating them nicely and showing them who you really are. Some people take longer to notice that you could be what they've been looking for, but generally they all end up realizing that sooner or later. Or at least that's what I'd like to believe.

The sheer number of friends who have been encouraging me to play mind games with BC is just... well, sheer. So many people tell me that this is the way to go; but I've never been good at mind games which is why I am more than happy to not follow this advice. But tell me, is this really how things are supposed to work? Am I really too hopeful and idealistic to think that being nice to him will actually win him over? Or do men really enjoy the thrill of the chase, so much so that they are blind to other simpler women with whom what you see is what you get?
Anyway, at the end of the day I know I'm going to act according to what my heart tells me and according to what makes me happy. I'm just rather curious – if everyone else in this world were actually playing mind games with each other, how can other people still end up together and stay together? At some point I guess the games would have to stop and everyone must let down their guard – it just kind of makes me wonder why anyone would even bother to start playing these games in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment