Monday, August 18, 2008

The Low-down on Last Week

My shitty week seems to have been cause for concern for some of my friends, who have been asking me what went down last week that was, well, so shitty. Honestly I also cannot pinpoint the cause of last week's gloom (and I'm pretty sure it was not just the famous Beijing pollution weather that was weighing me down). I felt irate, miserable and exhausted for no apparent reason. My theory was that since the Olympics was here, it was sucking out all the positive energy for all other life forms in Beijing. But then again, that's just me and my weird theories.

Anyway I'm finding it difficult to write about it since I am feeling so much better now. But let's see...

I guess one of the main reasons why I was so down was because most of my good friends were out of town for the week, all at the same time. And the ones left in Beijing were busy with a lot of other things... Don't ask me what they were, I don't know too. Basically that left me with nothing to do during my weekday evenings except stay home and watch DVD's. And reflect on how sad my life has become, therefore plunging me into deeper despair.

Add to that the troubles I've been going through at work (see previous entry on le bitch). Jaybee of course had something to say about that. Last Thursday morning, as I was complaining to him about the general misery that is my work life, he tells me, "There are more thrills outside the walls of your company and that job you take so seriously." That more or less kicked me out of my rut - reminding me that if work's a bitch then I must remember that there is still stuff that happen after 6pm to look forward to.

I also realized one other thing - that, at work, maybe I was taking the most inconsequential of things a little bit too seriously. I must admit that the past few weeks I have lost my focus, leading me to pay too much attention to things that in fact should not matter - le bitch included... other examples being blogging on Multiply during work hours. Hehe. So now I am slowly shifting my focus on rightfully important things like salary negotiations and working my butt off for another promotion. Weeeehhhhhh asa pa! But yeah you get what I mean.

After everything is said and done, like I mentioned in my previous entry, I have emerged from it relatively unscathed and I am now back to my baseline sometimes-cheerful-sometimes-irritable self. And now I have to quickly end this - I'm running off to the Bird's Nest to see Athletics Women's finals; six medals are up for grabs! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment