Monday, August 4, 2008

Notes From the Field: T minus 4 Days before the Olympics

It would be unforgivable for someone to be in Beijing and not give a commentary on the thing that is on everyone's mind and lips, and on every nook and cranny of this crazed city. What else but the 'O' word...

One can just imagine the feverish pace at which China attempted to prepare itself for the ultimate sporting event since it was first announced that Beijing will host the Olympics way back in 2001. It's all that people talk about around here, and that I noticed from the first day I set foot in this city. It seemed everything that is being done or is happening in Beijing was for the Olympics. To everyone it seemed like 08-08-08 was one giant shared deadline - that when that day comes, everything should be picture-perfect from the infrastructures to the weather to the traffic and yes even to the people, their manners (No spitting on the streets! No wearing white socks with black shoes! - I'm serious) and even their English proficiency.

Now it's down to T minus 4 days. Everyone seems to be more high strung than usual. There's something in the air - Beijing actually feels alive. Beijing used to be more like a calm emperor walking down an imperial path; now, imagine that emperor is waving his robes around and dancing like there's to tomorrow to Flo Rida's 'Low'. Kinda disconcerting, isn't it? But nevertheless enjoyable.

I must admit I didn't really prepare for the Olympics. I was content on watching the Opening Ceremonies in one of the 26 Government-sponsored live telecasts in parks around the city, not to mention the millions of bars that will be broadcasting the events as well. I never joined any of the ticket raffles but by some lucky twist of fate it looks like I will get to at least see some sports - Diving, Taekwondo and Boxing - the latter, only because the Philippines is represented! I'm not really a fan of people trying to incapacitate each other with their fists. The rest of the days I will probably hang around the Olympic Green, you know, just for fun and to pick at the tourists (spoken like a true local Beijinger!).

Personally, for a 24-year old Filipino girl like me who never even dreamt of working anywhere else but Makati (okay, maybe Ortigas too, haha) this experience is exceptionally overwhelming. I thank God and all my lucky stars that I am given an opportunity to take part in this, to breathe the air that some of the best athletes in the world will also be breathing for the next couple of weeks. This whole experience is 85% coincidence, that's why I still believe that someone up there is smiling down on me and wants me to be happy. :)

At this point, even if you are not so much into sports, even if you don't have a clue who the hell these athletes are and what the hell that sport is that they play, you cannot help but get caught in the countdown to 08-08-08. The whole wide world is watching - yes, their stares are almost palpable - and right now there's really no other place to be but in the Jing!

No comments:

Post a Comment