Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic Men's Basketball: USA vs China

This was one of the games which I would have given anything to watch. Well, maybe not anything, but I would have given quite a lot to get tickets to this match. :)

I am no expert but having grown up in a home that is permanently tuned in to PBA, NBA, PBL, UAAP, NCAA and even the annual summer basketball leagues in the village, I do like the occasional good match, and this seemed to promise to go down the record books -- and not because George Bush is attending it. With Yao Ming and a formidable team (yes basketball is also quite big in China, hence the team of likewise creditable players) facing against, well, Kobe Bryant and the long list of superstars from the USA team, this of course is bound to be a showdown.

And they did not disappoint. As I write this, it's halftime, and the first two quarters have been nothing short of exciting (despite China being down 14 points... well!). The game was quite appropriately opened by a three-point shot from Yao Ming -- but of course, were you expecting anything else? :) Anyway I am off to finish watching the game but no matter how this turns out, I would still go to bed quite pleased and entertained. :)

P.S. Yes I am secretly rooting for China, although that's a long shot since USA's performance is impeccable, and their dunks... make me speechless (and worried about the ring falling off!). I've lost track of how many times the commentator has used piaoliang! - which means beautiful - to refer to the USA teams' shots. 

...And since it's such a hot game I am also secretly waiting for a brawl to break out. Hahaha. That's just the former PBA fan in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment